May 17, 2024, 10:59:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565017 times)
kapri

« Reply #4455 on: March 11, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

Does it push into the body of the servo with a grommet  Terry ?
terry t

« Reply #4456 on: March 11, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »

Does it push into the body of the servo with a grommet  Terry ?
I think so Kev. here is the fitting instructions for the servo

http://www.vwjim.co.uk/news_6694_56041.html
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4457 on: March 11, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »

That's going to be a bugger to get to -the vacuum hose pushes onto a swivelling plastic union on the back of the servo & I've built a gearbox tunnel around it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4458 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03:49 PM »

Had a panicky hour or so this morning hunting for the folder with all the test info in. Finally found it so I can phone the test centre tomorrow & try & book the re-test.
On my way to the workshop I called at Dslam's place & picked up his vacuum & pressure brake bleeding gear. Thanks Andy.  Wink He'd also nickel plated the MonkeyHead bonnet badge for me. Looks super shiney now. I thought I'd put it on as a good luck charm for the re-test.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4459 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »

The speedo's out of the dashboard at the moment, which reminded me there were a couple of jobs to do behind it -a servo mounting bolt missing it's nut, a securing clip on the demister vent linkage forgotten, the windscren washer jet mount being loose -that kinda thing. So I spent an hour or so fixing them. Then I drilled the bulkhead & added the brake pipe retaining clips I made the other day, using self tapping screws. Not keen on self tappers, but that part of the bulkhead was put in by a previous owner & is nearly 4mm thick, so the screws hardly penetrated. A bugger to get to, behind the exhaust headers, but worth doing. The brake pipes are wrapped in heat proof sleeving for the test.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4460 on: March 11, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »

Kev mentioned the other day that the wheel hub nuts ought to be covered by grease caps. They didn't mention them on the test, but I found a couple on Ebay. A little loose though, so would need retaining, maybe with a spot of weld on the back, just for the test. If they stay they'll be painted black.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4461 on: March 11, 2012, 11:19:15 PM »

Yesterday's mud.

spanners

« Reply #4462 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »

i may have miss read  but what problem are you having with a valve on the servo ? ?  is it the vacum none return valve ?

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4463 on: March 11, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »

Not sure if there's actually a problem Mike.
I've just ordered some proper rubber servo hose, to connect it to the carb take-off, because the stuff we used was too thin walled & sucked itself almost flat, restricting the air flow. The first time you press the brake pedal after the engine's been switched off, there's a rush of air, either into or out of the servo. Sounds like an air brake. Maybe they always do that & you don't hear it, but ours is under the dash in the cab & not panelled in yet.

spanners

« Reply #4464 on: March 11, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »

alot of rover v8,s had a ,check, /non return valve screwed into the inlet manifold where the vaccy hose connected.

but with you fitting the ,holley, i,m unshure where youre ,vaccy, connection is  but you can get an inline valve ..

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
cunningplan

« Reply #4465 on: March 12, 2012, 07:29:30 AM »

Not sure if there's actually a problem Mike.
I've just ordered some proper rubber servo hose, to connect it to the carb take-off, because the stuff we used was too thin walled & sucked itself almost flat, restricting the air flow. The first time you press the brake pedal after the engine's been switched off, there's a rush of air, either into or out of the servo. Sounds like an air brake. Maybe they always do that & you don't hear it, but ours is under the dash in the cab & not panelled in yet.

Thats a good sign Andy, its normal for a servo to vent when you apply the brake with the engine off, if it did'nt you would have a problem. Also if it only happens when you brake, the servo must be a none return valve already fitted or else it would'nt happen. (Next time you get into you road car, after you switch the engine off pump the pedal and listen under the dash.)
As to your grease caps, mine were loose, but I just nipped the around the edge with mole grips and its now hard to get the back off.
(Still looking forward to the video  Grin)
kapri

« Reply #4466 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21:46 AM »

I thought about it during the day as well Tony and remembered it was still holding vacuum after the  engine was switched off ( and also depressing brakes while running makes NO difference to engine ).

The only issue with the brakes ,apart from air still being trapped, is that the vacuum hose isn't correct material and collapses as engine is running so servo isn't getting emptied as much as it should.

As you say the method of operation on ANY servo is that movement allows atmospheric pressure IN to assist with braking. Venting /hissing is perfectly normal.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4467 on: March 12, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »

Yup, kinda thought that myself, but I'm happy to learn & not afraid to admit I know nuffink.  Tongue
Another visit from Uncle K this afternoon -I'm gonna owe him so many favours. We pressure bled the brakes several times using Mr Dslam's gear, allowing time between each go for any remaining air to settle. They appear to be doing just what they should now -the fronts lock well before the backs & with the aid of the servo, there's very little effort required to apply them. Hopefully they're good to go now. Kev also tweaked the carb a little -2 pumps of the throttle pedal, turn the key & it bursts into life straight away.
I rang the test station in Southampton this afternoon & booked the test. 8.o.clock in the morning on Tuesday the 20th. Even though they're only checking the failure points from last time, the test could still theoretically take 3 hours, hence the early start. It also has to be done by the same guy who did the first test. Scottie's confirmed he's O.K to take it there again for us, so will be collecting it on Monday afternoon, so he can drive straight down in the morning. We'll meet him there at 7 to unload & warm it up.
So I'd better get cracking with the interior panels.

merv

« Reply #4468 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »

All the best with it.
I'm sure with all the work you done on it you got nothing to worry about

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4469 on: March 12, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »

Uh huh.  Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: