May 19, 2024, 07:07:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1566274 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5925 on: April 03, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

Motorcycle jumble at Popham this weekend, as well as the Harley/custom bike swapmeet at Dorking, (I'll be there). I'll have my bike built before you get the Landy back on the road.  Cheesy

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #5926 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »

I'd imagine they're huge compared to the Pop one Mike. We're tight for space as it is. Just wondered how they worked really.
I bought a Vauxhal Corsa power steering column when we first started this build, but later sold it to Phunkie. 

Think if you had PAS, the steering would be way too light. You need to look at the engine position, yours is way behind the centreline of the front axle. Modern cars have the engine across the suspension cenreline and herefore NEED power steering. The roadster hasn't got PAS, same engine position as yours and probably heavier, it handles well and has light enough steering and its got quite wide 55 series radials on the front.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5927 on: April 03, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »

Yeah, just thinking aloud really Chris. Not planning on any major changes yet -just need to get out there & drive it & get used to it.

NeilG

« Reply #5928 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:13 PM »

Must admit Andy i'm not a great fan of the 390 Holley.Had one on my 3.9 rover in my pop and was still a bit big.Put a 38 dgas weber on and it went like stink.Might be worth sticking the old su's on if you've got any,at least you'll know if it runs better.
Every time i get back in the Chevy i forget how heavy it is without power steering!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5929 on: April 03, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »

I like the SUs on Rover engines -they just look very hotroddy to me. Haven't got room for them under the bonnet though because of the big kick up in the chassis, which means the engine sits quite high, (like that too though, cos it fills the engine bay).
My brother Brock mentioned a couple of days ago that it's very easy to over fuel the Holley.

flap

« Reply #5930 on: April 03, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »

Motorcycle jumble at Popham this weekend, as well as the Harley/custom bike swapmeet at Dorking, (I'll be there). I'll have my bike built before you get the Landy back on the road.  Cheesy
The end of the world will of been and gone before I get the Landy back on the road.
Did we go to that Dorking one a few years ago?

Did you know I won a Trophy and lost my Cartman hat.
Then I won another Trophy. I miss my hat.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5931 on: April 03, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »

Possibly, maybe, perhaps.
Held in a carpark at the end of Dorking high street. I usually end up sat in the Wimpy Bar, munching a burger & watching the bikes cruising up & down. A good meet.
Did we go on my first Speed Triple?

flap

« Reply #5932 on: April 04, 2013, 10:28:43 AM »

Don't remember how we got there, was a longggg time ago.  Smiley

Did you know I won a Trophy and lost my Cartman hat.
Then I won another Trophy. I miss my hat.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5933 on: April 06, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »

Finally, a little bit of sunshine today. The weather's been cold, grey & miserable for weeks now.
I've been doing some overtime at work for the last few days, so haven't been at the workshop. Back there today, to tinker in the luke warm sun.
As always, being a Saturday, everyone was there to work on their own projects. Loony was hardtailing Tom's XS650 bike frame, while Tom himself was at the bench smoothing off the yokes. Nick was prepping his VW Golf track car for paint & Chris was building sills for his Moggy Minor.
I took the Pop for a quick spin up the lane & back. It's definitely not right, struggling to get up the hill with a real lack of power. Got to be an ignition or fueling problem, but I really don't know where to start. Hopefully I'll be picking up an electronic ignition conversion kit for it on Tuesday. If that doesn't actually fix it, it'll at least eliminate it as a problem.
So I'm not going to mess with it till then. Instead I spent some time working on the body. Lots of areas still only half finished, so I'm going to get methodical, pick one section & work on it till it's done. I started with the drivers door, making a fill-in piece for the front bottom corner of the door opening, adding a captive nut & altering the sill panel to bolt to it. I also cut a square out of the bulkhead in the engine bay to weld in a panel with captive nuts to attach Old Newbie's MMMotors plaque to. Although I made sure to cover both the inside & outside of the new windscreen, I forgot about the door mirrors. By the end of the day I found I'd sprayed the glass with grinding sparks, pitting it. Bugger. So now I've got to buy another mirror. I keep looking at their position on top of the door edge. The mirror stems match the curve of the front & rear light mounts, but I'm not that keen on them. When I replace the pitted one I might remount them to the main door panel as they're supposed to be.
With both Loon & Chris using the welder, my panels didn't get done, so I'll put together all the parts for the drivers door then collar Mr Loon to weld them all in one go.
No photos today, but Chris took this arty snap of me heading out of the yard on his phone a couple of days ago.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:32:43 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #5934 on: April 06, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »

vid on face ache of v8 burble. sounds good.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5935 on: April 06, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »

Ahh, that would be Nick's phone camera. I'm not on FarceBook, so can't see it. Yeah, sounds fine on tickover, just doesn't drive well.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #5936 on: April 06, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »

Would that be a close relative of "Christine" perhaps?, disappearing into the sunset?HuhHuh, spooky or what,.....na, na, na ,na,na,na.......... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5937 on: April 06, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »

Shocked
When Taz's Dodge Charger was at JC Restorations in Surrey, one of the original "Christine" Plymouths was in the next bay in the workshop. Belonged to a musician who was paying a small fortune to have it restored.

steven brock

« Reply #5938 on: April 07, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »

You tube link!?

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
poprodder

« Reply #5939 on: April 07, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »

there is'nt one, it was loaded straight onto facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: