May 02, 2024, 02:05:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1553157 times)
terry t

« Reply #2955 on: April 10, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »

here a video of pop out side in the sunshine ticking over and being checked over for leaks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQe6nz-4cvc
cunningplan

« Reply #2956 on: April 10, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »

Brock said it was popping, could be to far advanced or a exhaust gasket leak at the manifold (Sounds more like the second.)
was also told it went around the yard under its own steam.
Well done  Grin
terry t

« Reply #2957 on: April 10, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »

Brock said it was popping, could be to far advanced or a exhaust gasket leak at the manifold (Sounds more like the second.)
was also told it went around the yard under its own steam.
Well done  Grin
yes we think the timing is out thats how it was on the last fire up it was not checked with timing light
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2958 on: April 10, 2011, 10:48:55 PM »

Sorry, been down at the stable yard, helping Taz put rugs on 'orses.
Yes indeedy, she do run!  Grin
Loony & I arrived at the workshop early this morning -well 9.30ish anyway. Still had to finish the second exhaust header before we could think about firing the beastie up. Some filing, some welding & a bit more filing & it was done. I haven't actually stood back & compared the 2 sets of pipes on the car, but hopefully they look reasonably symetrical. As the great Ed Roth, customiser extraordinaire, once said, left & right don't have to be identical, cos you can't see both sides of the car at the same time, but they're not bad for a bunch of pipes we bodged together ourselves.
With the exhausts sorted it was time to tackle the ignition circuit wiring. It was at this point that we realised neither of us had the faintest idea how to connect it up. Bugger. We mooched about for a while, poking at various wires & wondering what to do & hoping help would arrive. Taddah, Mr Terry T to the rescue.
I'd just begun to think we weren't going to get the truck running, let alone moving, when Terry rolled in. You were a God send matey. A million thanks. While I faffed about with a few odds & ends that needed finishing, Mr T set about hooking up the ignition, electric fuel pump & radiator fan, all running off the dash mounted ignition switch. Wiring's a complete black art to me, so I've no idea what magic he wove, but it seemed to work. We strapped a plastic fuel can in the pick-up bed & dunked the fuel pump hose into it, connected the battery & we were ready to go.
By this time a few more bods had arrived. PD, Archie & young Missy Archie, Big Darren & Fat Martin, Mum & Dad Loony, & Mr & Mrs brock. Nice to see you guys.  Wink
Hit it. ...chug, chug, chug. Nothing. Chug, chug, chug. Still nothing. Hmmm. Check everything again. Nope.
Further investigation showed we had fuel in the carb & a spark at the plugs, albeit a weak one. Eventually Brock traced the problem to the new HT leads. The factory fitted caps were pushed onto the plugs but not properly contacting them. We swapped them for the tatty old set we'd used previously & jump started the battery from Loony's car.
Chug, chug, chugga, chugga, chugga ...vrrroooooomm!!
Hurrah!  

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #2959 on: April 10, 2011, 11:03:57 PM »

here what we have all bean waiting for Andy and Loonys hard work sweat and blood for the past few years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyLbH5w3Mkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INh6Jao38ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xct5n6A093g
Al

« Reply #2960 on: April 10, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »

so did you have a big cheasy grin mm
well it goes now one step closer welll done
al
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2961 on: April 10, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »

At this point there ought to be a snapshot of happy Monkeys pointing at the motor & grinning, but my camera was the other side of the yard & we were more interested in keeping the engine running, so you'll have to imagine it.
Damn that thing's loud. We may need to add a silencer or 6 before we go for the test.
O.K, time to jump in & see how she goes.
...alright, I'll happily admit it. I bottled it. I'm not used to driving auto boxes & was scared something would go wrong & I'd hit the wrong pedal. Didn't want our maiden voyage to end with me stoving the truck into the side of the workshop, or someone's car, or someone. I'd rather have a quiet, (ha, ha ,ha!), drive when there's no-one about & I can bugger it up without an audience. Luckily, Loony had no such reservations & stepped up to take the first run.
Turn the key, listen to the fuel pump glugging away, turn the key to the start position, chug, chug, chug, varrooommm. Into Drive -clunk, a little throttle & ease off the brakes ...& she began to roll. Yeehaa, the very first time it's moved under it's own steam.
Loony rolled carefully up the yard & eased to a stop. Kachunk, into Reverse, He backed it up, pointed it back up the yard & swapped back into Drive. Bruuuummmmm, rumpitty, rumpitty, rumpitty. Kachunk. Bruuuuuuummm, rumpitty, rumpitty. He made it look easy. a few laps of the yard then we checked it over. A couple of leaks here & there but nothing serious. PD climbed into the passenger seat & they took off again. Got to admit, it looked good.
Yes, I did have a go later, once the audience had thinned out a bit & with Loony beside me to give me a quick lesson in auto gearboxes. Still managed to hit the throttle instead of the brakes at one point, but I'll get the hang of it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2962 on: April 11, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »

Grin
Despite hosting this site, I'm not comfortable being the centre of attention. Happier to stand back & observe. Gonna be tough blending into the background in this though.
Loony & I pulled up at the end of the yard -Hey mate, we've done it. We've built a hotrod.  Grin
Lots left to do, but yeah, we're a huge leap further forward. Everything's a bit rough at the moment. "Brutal" would be a fair description I think. The gearchange is very kachunky -as we notched it into gear the truck would lurch forward. Brock reckons topping the transmission oil up will smooth that out. It's also revving a bit high which won't help.
Running it on just the open headers obviously messes up the carburation as well as making it sound like a tractor. Adding the rest of the system will hopefully fix that, as well as quitening it down so we can hear each other talk in the cab. The headers will only really get uncorked now & then for shows. 90% of the time it'll be running through silencers & long tail pipes.
The water got up to temperature & the radiator fan kicked in at about 95 degrees, so that all seems to work. Even the heater got hot.
So. Things to do-
We found a crack in the carb manifold casting -my own fault. I'd fitted the sender unit for the water gauge & wound it right into the manifold.
Looks like it was a tapered fitting though so should only have been tightened enough to seal. Brock reckons it can be fixed in situ with some "Chemical Metal" putty.
The bottom radiator hose is still weeping water. Loony thinks it's just a matter of reseating the jubilee clip.
The oil pressure gauge wasn't working as there was air in the line. I just need to loosen the pipe from the back of the gauge & run the engine until the air bleeds out.
We need to find someone who can check the timing & adjust the distributor position if necessary, (no points as it's electronic, so turning the dizzy body in it's clamp is the only adjustment). Also find out once & for all if we need that ballast resistor or not.
I need to remake the HT leads, using a spare set of plug caps I have.
The biggest problem was the front mudguards. Something we only confirmed by actually driving the thing. On full lock & bouncing the suspension, the back end of the guards taps the front exhaust pipe. Shortening the guard by about 4 inches would probably cure it, but would mean reworking the mounting struts. The easier option might be to fit 1 inch wheel spacers to give us more clearance, although we'll have to extend the struts to keep the guards over the tyres. I'll look at that tomorrow.
All in all though, not bad for a maiden voyage. It didn't burst into flames & no-one got killed, so a success I reckon.  Smiley
As Loony climbed out after that first run his hands were shaking -"What a buzz!"  Grin 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:49:13 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #2963 on: April 11, 2011, 05:23:08 AM »

Grin Cool

Cabman77

« Reply #2964 on: April 11, 2011, 05:56:44 AM »

always a joy the first roll out. Well done you two  Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
kapri

« Reply #2965 on: April 11, 2011, 07:31:44 AM »

Always a great feeling when a pile of bits actually turns into a working car Smiley. Huge mojo boost as well , well done to all involved.
madron

« Reply #2966 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:04 AM »

thats a great feeling when you take a build out under its own steam for the first time i remember when i built rollin thunder took it for a trial run everything ok so decided to really check brakes so found a long strip of tarmac on industrial estate booted it then slammed brakes on now this is where it changed we had a local blacksmith twist up some 1"square bar and made the four bar set up for the front axle in twisted bar  instead of tube like everyone else had em chromed and fitted with urethane bushes looked the dogs danglies till i slammed the brakes on and the whole four bar bent up under car chassis on floor and my underpants needing changing apperently the smithy had forgot to move the chucks in when twisting the bar meaning it stretched in the middle weakening them had rush to make em in tube and paint em silver as we were in donny show  3 days later
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #2967 on: April 11, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »

The pop is looking great Andy can't wait to see it again well done keep up the good work.

Lovin' the videos.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Tony oily bike

« Reply #2968 on: April 11, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »

Grin  Grin  Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Al

« Reply #2969 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »

really happy for you andy all the hard work you and loony and others have done has turned it into your own personell  mobile manky motor now r u going to paint it or are you going dont know what they call them but look minted the clear laquer over but look rusted bits all over am i explaining my self right wee bit of tuning and that will purr like a baby well done
a big boost to your ensentive as it is all knitting together
al
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: