May 06, 2024, 09:20:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: GT750 build  (Read 25962 times)
baldyshinehead

« on: April 22, 2006, 10:01:07 PM »

Ok here goes, I have allways wanted to build a trike but have allways thought that due to lack of knowledge, funds and space I could never do it, untill I was offered a trike project GT750 with a reliant axle for the right price.
So off i go to pick it all the bits up, load up the van and start the treck home. Unload it all and set it out. Now what i had was a gt750 in bits and an axle, oh well, suppose i was hoping for a little too much for it to be started  Undecided
So far i have cut the bits i dont want off of the bike frame, got my hands on a prop shaft and set it all out level and in position.
Hopefully i will pluck up the courage soon to start cutting and tackingthe hardtail rear end onto the original cradle.
I will try to keep this updated as and when i do things
baldyshinehead

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 10:04:28 PM »

the first 2 pics are me making brum brum noises and my son doing the same  Grin

the next 2 are me and my brother setting it out and my boy again.
baldyshinehead

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »

I had some erw laying about that i had been using to play with the welder so i thought i would mock up a rear end so I could better see what i had in my mind to do. Not straight, not welded well and not really anygood at all but it helped me visualise what i was trying to do with the back end.
And as the trike is ment to be for my wife it let her see what it would be like.
Speedmaster

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:15:21 PM »

Jeez, you guys always make it look and sound so easy, I could almost be tempted..........
baldyshinehead

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:17:36 PM »

Jeez, you guys always make it look and sound so easy, I could almost be tempted..........

easy ?  if it was i would have done it by now  Grin  scary is a much better word for it
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 10:18:30 PM »

That's interesting Baldy. Plenty of triangulation in the rear end which is always good to see. You going to use a solid slug between the old & new frame tubes?
Care to write a little bit about the wooden jig you've used to keep it all square? If you could scribble a few words of explanation & add a couple of piccies maybe Mr Yodles will add it to the Trike Tech bit.
Keep adding updates to the build here & when it's done we'll re-edit it & post it in the Motors, 3 Wheels section. Looking good so far.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
baldyshinehead

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:21:03 PM »

the wooden frame thingy came with all the bits, I will try to find out more about it but i am sure it was in 100% mag .

the mock-up has no struts or any kind off strentgh to it so it will have more bits than in the pics
tbone

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 10:22:51 PM »

hey nice mock up baldyshinehead.
are you welding the upper n lower frame rails directly to the axle or you gonna clamp em round?

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
baldyshinehead

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 10:24:59 PM »

hey nice mock up baldyshinehead.
are you welding the upper n lower frame rails directly to the axle or you gonna clamp em round?

clamp them,  cant get it back through the house if its solid  Grin
Not sure on conecting the old and new tubes, my father in-law has loads more knowledge than i do so i will be asking his advice on such things.
tbone

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 10:25:30 PM »

the only extras i would consider would be a curved bar between the top n bottom rails, about midpoint but slightly one way or t`other wouldnt be a problem if it looks better.

baldyshinehead

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »

This is where my odd mind comes into it lol.   I want to keep all the bars on the rear end straight,  partly due to not having a way to bend them but also because most people bend them ( if that makes sense ).  I didnt put any at the back in the mock-up because i didnt have any left  Wink
tbone

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 10:32:55 PM »

looks like you have used the old seat rail to mount the top tubes, yes?
if so the easiest way to join them is drill a 10mm hole right through the tube side on, then another one top to bottom, get yourself some solid steel bar that fits inside the tube, cut off six inches n slide 3inches into the tube then hold it in place by welding up 1 of the holes you drilled.drill your new rail the same way, slide it on and weld 1 of those holes too. i only weld 1 hole until i`m completely happy with the frame, its more work if you weld all 4 n then have to rip it apart cos u dont like it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 10:33:31 PM »

A few triangular gussets in some of the corners wouldn't go amiss either. No need to over complicate it though. Simple always works best. Yes, the wooden jig was in 100% but if you've still got yours it'd be nice to show it here for those who don't read the mag.
Speedy, it is simple! If I can do it anyone can! Just takes patience & a little common sense. What've you got to lose if it doesn't work out? Well, O.k, your life maybe, but what I mean is, 3 or 4mm wall thickness ERW, (Electrical Resistance Welded), tube is about 2 quid a foot, a 150 amp MIG welder will cost you about 150 - 200 quid, (Desperate Dan sold his on this 'ere forum just recently for 90 quid I think), your local Tech College will do an evening class to teach you how to use it, an old Jap donor bike & away you go. Go on -you know you want to!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
baldyshinehead

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 10:34:49 PM »

you have got it spot on.  that is what i was going to do there, it is the bottom rails i am not so sure on.
tbone

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 10:35:38 PM »

i see wot ur thinkin, the reason most are bent is because a bent tube will flex better under the forces actin on it than a staight one. If your set on straight tho, i would consider a triangle rather than just a single tube.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: