May 13, 2024, 09:52:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: trike axle broken  (Read 3199 times)
SWAMPIG

« on: October 11, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »

need some new axle tubes for reliant as this has happened
terry t

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

Have you a better photo of the axle so we can see what caused this. looks liks axle solid fit and the dif flexed
if you are after some tubes contact Haggis look in the members folder he use to make these
Olds

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »

Think Haggis has retired.
Looks like a swing arm conversion with mounts close to the diff. Would suggest getting thick wall tubes made and moving the mounts out as far as possible. Try a local small engineering firm.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »

Totally agree with the previous comments, but would add, simple standard wall steam pipe is more than adequate, unless you want the glitter of S/S. Either machine or have machined the ends to suit a light, Light that is!, shrink fit at diff. casing ends, and at the outers, which can be stitch welded, which again is adequate. This should not be too expensive and will last another lifetime!! Grin Be carefull not to have too tight a shrink fit on the diff. case to new axle tube, as the alloy case is easily cracked, and it is unecessary anyway, use large POP rivits to final fit, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
ROD

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »

agree with all above.next time spread the load out across the tube.
SWAMPIG

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 09:09:46 AM »

thanks guys ! I didnt build the thing a mate wants me to repair it. there mounts near to the diff on both side's (both side's have broken!)the two outer mounts are clamps the two mid mounts are bolted to a bracket welded to the tubes and there is the brackets that you can see near the diff which are all welded up. when I saw it I was concerned that the welding had been done on the tubes as are they not cast? obviously there has to be some welding for brackets to stop the axle from spinning. I am a mechanic not an engineer and was thinking of renewing the axle but these seem to have got pricey!

ROD

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »

the tubes are very thin,and even thinner after years of rust on the surface! I was also told it wasnt a good idea to weld anything to the tubes as this could cause misalignment through heat distortion,but I think plenty have been welded and are ok.
SWAMPIG

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »

Think Haggis has retired.
Looks like a swing arm conversion with mounts close to the diff. Would suggest getting thick wall tubes made and moving the mounts out as far as possible. Try a local small engineering firm.
Please could you give me sizes i might need  Smiley
minimutly

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »

This is what I bought, from metal mania:-
Steel ERW tube 50.8mm(2")O/D x 3.2mm x 1000mm.
This is thicker than the std axle tube, and has sufficient material to allow it to be machined to fit in the diff.
I wouldn't go any thinner, and while your at this job I would advise an additional brace under! or over the axle to take the bending loads. ( some 25mm tube should be sufficient).
Good luck,
Huw
Ps, some pics would be good if you want some advice, plenty of experience around here.
hunter

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 11:43:04 AM »

Classic example of metal fatigue from welding.
A good lesson for anyone thinking of welding tubes and large brackets to these axle tubes,
Don't

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »

Spanners had a Reliant Kitten axle in the For Sale section. Don't know if he's actually sold it yet.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ROD

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »

Those axles are fetching strong money nowadays!
hunter

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 08:34:48 PM »

Spanners axle was cheap.

I
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: