May 16, 2024, 04:26:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's a clever boy then?  (Read 1485 times)
klogan45

« on: September 09, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »

Well not that clever really. I was buggering about to see what the apps thing is on yahoo when I found a thing labelled 'create your own app' so I clicked on it.

What happened was this.... I was able to greate an app on my toolbar that brings me here without having to go through my bookmarks. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee

This is probably old news to you computer literate lot, but it's new for me.

Thinks..............."Now what app shall I make next"  A nice mug of tea and a jaffacake app perhaps.

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »

I've got a real aversion to technology -which is daft considering I run a website. It just annoys me & I think I really don't need all these gizmos. My life isn't so high flying that I need to stay connected to everything all the time. Must admit though, there's been times when it's incredibly useful to have a world of information in your pocket.
An app' showing the nearest location of a bar of chocolate, or how far to the next comfy chair might be useful.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Bus Boy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »

in my bid as miss great britain i would like to have an app for world peace.................oooooooh no that was another life sorry!!!

I never wanted to be normal anyways!
The North

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »

I don't like technology but its here. It can do things that save lives and improve aspects of our daily lives we  cant imagine  but as this site is motors it can improve performance and may be reliability, computer tech as gone mad these days as a 17 year old mechanic back in the mid 70s i can remember picking up am monthly copy of car and car conversions, and being amassed at the two page article on the sparkrite MSD ignition kit, and just how much it would improve performance on my 1500GT powered Anglia.
  We have come on a long way since then the very mainstream vauxhals with their technology sensor dependent power houses are a clear indicator bread and butter can compete with caviar in today's technology driven world. 
 Plugs and points work fine for me, the reliability issues i read about on the net are hard for me to understand, folk would have you believe electronic ignition is essential for even average reliability.  Now i am not saying they don't help perhaps they may improve power but i cant say i ever noticed a improvement under my right foot. And even reliability we used to hammer a corsair from yorkshire to inverness 9 times a year and did it for 4 years until it striped one of the fiber timing gears on the A1 near Haddington.Never touched the points apart from services  People got all over the world on points and condensers for decades and decades not a sparkrite MSD in sight  Grin sure they broke down but cars do today. and now you cant gap them and be on your way even a qualified mechanic will be waiting for the AA if his little code reader cant wipe an error.
 Its not all good but its here so we must embrace it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Luddite. I'm no mechanic but at least with points you've got a chance of getting home. If the little black box packs up, you're buggered.
I was talking to someone about the latest Ducatis the other day. They told me main dealers can fix onboard electrical problems remotely by wireless computer link, without ever even seeing the bike.

The North

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »

Thats impressive and in fairness to technology here, perhaps if we had been brought up with it and knew no other then it would be easier to accept i mean mega jolt and mega squirt as improved many a ancient warriors arsenal, but it comes at a price even though it uses mostly common ford stuff, And on an old car you are not racing just OTT.
nabsim

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »

The other side of the coin though North, a lot of the stuff we have is 30 years old or more, if dizzy is worn out it makes sense to go for an electronic dizzy and matching coil for under a ton, fit and forget (or should be)

Seeing as I have made my living on computers and systems for the last 12 years all I can say is they are excellent tools and open up an awful lot of things for a lot of people. More up sides than down.

And yes, you are a Luddite Andy, get yourself an iPhone Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »

A what? Maybe an I Patch, then I could be a pirate. A primate pirate. Smiley

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »

Well I dunno, I'm 65 and not all that clever with computers but I made a link at the top of my screen to bring me straight here years ago, didn't need any apps just used what was on my computer!

Tbh I think a lot of the 'apps' that people think are so wonderful are just doing things you don't need them for, but you have to admire the marketing that makes people think they need them!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: