May 16, 2024, 10:26:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: MSVA  (Read 17838 times)
flc

« on: June 13, 2008, 08:17:35 AM »

Bikes nearly done so its time to chop through the red tape,  Smiley
was on the phone yesterday,
 trying to get a vin number and was told to take all paper work to my nearest dvla place
but as i made frame/forks there is no papers,
so the only option i was told is to take my id and all reciepts then they will ishue a vin,
will take up most of a day to nip into my nearest, will keep you all posted as to progress,
getting exiting Cool
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »

nice one m8e hope all goes well'ish Grin keep us informed

More metal than skin
tbone

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »

now all the hard work starts  Grin

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
flc

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:45 AM »

Well been to my localish DVLA place to sort my vin number today,
They work it like the social place where you have to take a ticket,
mine said approx 46 Min's wait Roll Eyes so was pleased when my no came up after only 20.
Wasn't so pleased by the blank look i got, when i asked for a Vin no.
The girl went away saying i will have to pass this on, to the guy who deals with this side of things, she came back and asked me to start filling in a very official looking form (looked like a big P60) and to take a seat.
 the stuff on the form is interesting like max power in KW's?  Ive since found this http://www.statman.info/conversions/power.html
When the guy appeared he was unsure what i wanted at first but soon got the gist of it,
He told me i could pick my own no but it would be easier in the long run if he issued one,
the reason being that he would have to get it checked to confirm it met the criteria set by the powers that be.
Not wanting any hold ups i took one of his,
i had taken all paper work that Ive collected,
i ended up giving my license and receipts for frame materials and engine and wheels, he said he would photo copy them, and dissapeared for a bit, some questions on the form i did not have the answers to like length width co2 out put, so was a little worried, but on his return he said the form is for later on when I'm after my new reg,
Ive fetched it home to complete at my leasure,
 in his hand he had my Vin no form, the form stated that the number must be hard stamped to the frame and must be checked and authorised by a certified engineer Shocked but he told me a stamped plate riveted on would be fine and the checks were for stolen recovered vehicles where Vin numbers had been removed or welded over.
 He also gave me a direct phone number in case i have any further questions and to let him know when Ive passed the msva, so he can help me get the paper work completed proply, before taking my bike over for inspection. All in all a very helpfull guy and fairly painless so far.
So off i trot a happy bunny, Ive made a copper plate stamped up with 4mm digits to affix tomorrow,
i will also be on to my insurance/local vosa testing place.
will post progress as its made.    Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 04:09:15 AM »

Great news Mick!
Taz & I took a day off work to go to our local office -Wimbledon in North London. The girl I spoke to before-hand on the phone & at their office was also very helpful, but not very experienced with MSVAs, so had to check with her supervisor.
I've been told the  VIN number has to be stamped onto the frame -they won't accept a rivetted plate. Haven't done it yet as it'll mean stamping into my powdercoating or sanding off a portion then touching it in with paint afterwards. I'll check again nearer the time & hopefully speak to the actual examiner. Hoping a seperate plate will do.
I've got no receipts at all for any of my trike -it was all either bartered or home made, except the frame tubing, which I've lost the receipt for. They didn't ask to see any of it though. When ByzMax took his trike for MSVA he didn't have paperwork either but reckons it's down to them to prove the components have been stolen or falsely used, rather than you to prove they haven't. Again, I'm hoping.
The DVLA people were as helpful as their knowledge of MSVAs allowed, but it looks like you can get different answers depending where you go & who you ask. As they said, they're not trying to stop custom vehicles getting on the road, just trying to make sure the ones that do are safe & legal.
Good luck & keep us informed! Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
flc

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »

I know desparate has riveted the one on his trike, like you say, they dont seem to kow much about the new rules, the guy asked for my receipts but ended up giving them back to me uncopied, i think he copied my license though.
i will be ringing my local vosa today to see about booking a test. Will let you know how i get on.
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:30:09 AM »

good result then Mick Grin as long as the inspector dont want to see yer shed floor Grin you'll be ok Smiley

More metal than skin
flc

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:04:47 PM »

Grin Grin Good job they dont test sheds Grin,
been on to vosa, they said my local test place has a 4 day wait for testing but, it takes about 4 weeks to process the application, so thats going in the post today with a check for £78 Sad so no shows this year.
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »

hmm Sad still you'll have all of next yers shows Smiley

More metal than skin
flc

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »

OOh yes Smiley Smiley just frustrating knowing ive a perfectly good finished bike in my shed that i wont be riding for at least another month. Sad
flc

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »

Grin got my test date, next monday.
got my insurance sorted £150.00 notes for chop with no reg , (only chassis number) and my wifes 125 that im using for work.
Insurance has wrote to me and said, i have 30 days to get a reg sorted or my policy will be cancelled. sounds a bit harsh but i have enough time (fingers crossed) Smiley
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »

nice one Mick Grin

More metal than skin
flc

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »

Just seen your trike in 100%, looking good mate, anymore progress?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »

Fingers crossed for you Mick but I don't think you'll need any luck.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »

Grin got my test date, next monday.
got my insurance sorted £150.00 notes for chop with no reg , (only chassis number) and my wifes 125 that im using for work.
Insurance has wrote to me and said, i have 30 days to get a reg sorted or my policy will be cancelled. sounds a bit harsh but i have enough time (fingers crossed) Smiley

Had the s ame thing last year with the Beach Bastard. Took 8 weeks from SVA to Getting number plate. Insurance company wanted Reg number to issue new certificate and DVLA wanted new insurance cert cos the original one had run out because they f*&ked up the registration.

Eventually DVLA backed down.

Don't let that put you off cos this year the same process on new trike took just 8 days from SVA to riding it with a tax disc on  it!!!!  Grin

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: