May 17, 2024, 05:37:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 wheeler, but not as we know it, Jim!  (Read 70145 times)
Olds

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »

Very neat. Is that galv sheet you are using.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »

Yep, it is Dave, principally because it was available for nowt! having come out of the landing ceiling of a house my son bought some years ago! yeah, that's the truth! It appears it was used after WW2 to repair bomb damage, and as building materials were in short supply then, and there was a galvanised sheet plant locally, Bingo Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy, well that's what I was told, and its proved excellent in use,being old style "hot dip galv," a little heavier than aluminium, but stronger, and definitely cheaper Grin Grin Grin.....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

principally because it was available for nowt!
Grin A perfect reason. Some decent, zinc rich primer on the cut edges and it will last forever.
Gan ddumuno iechyd a hapusrydd I chi yn 2014

hornet6

« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »

Looks amazing...cant wait to see it finished  Grin Grin Grin Grin

no projects ever finished
kapri

« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »

Are you fitting a reverse gear ?
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2014, 02:09:03 PM »

Many thanks for the seasonal greetings,in the language of heaven, Dave Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.Regarding reverse,well the jury is out at pres. as a reverse gearbox is both bulky and expensive, and the electrical alternatives don't appear too efficient,from what I can tell, though I have not ruled that method out yet, but initially I shall probably stick with the prewar concept of doing without, and just take care where I park Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin cheers, Morrag

mouse

« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2014, 03:34:03 PM »

looking very nice Morrag  Smiley

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
Olds

« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2014, 03:38:09 PM »

With regard to the possibility of electrical reversing. My neighbour has a huge caravan, having friction roller drive motors, fitted each side acting on the tyres.
Not very fast (walking pace) but quite capable of 'driving' the caravan up and down the road. Being over centre, sprung loaded, it would be easy to engage/disengage via a lever/cable setup. Would however add weight to the swing arm.
Another alternative is a punting pole lashed to the side. Cheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2014, 04:05:56 PM »

Surely it's the passenger's job to jump out & push it backwards when needed?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »

That roller idea is interesting, but re. the "punting pole" suggestion , I am giving that real consideration, using, possibly, a pole, swivelling of a chassis rail, through a slot in the floor, passenger side!why not? Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue...Morrag

kapri

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2014, 06:01:37 PM »

With regard to the possibility of electrical reversing. My neighbour has a huge caravan, having friction roller drive motors, fitted each side acting on the tyres.
Not very fast (walking pace) but quite capable of 'driving' the caravan up and down the road. Being over centre, sprung loaded, it would be easy to engage/disengage via a lever/cable setup. Would however add weight to the swing arm.
Another alternative is a punting pole lashed to the side. Cheesy

You've just given me an idea for my BIVA project , using those rollers but in an alternative method of drive, THANKS .
Olds

« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »

using, possibly, a pole, swivelling of a chassis rail,
Rollocks Rowlocks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:35:20 PM by Old Newbie » Logged

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »

The mind boggles!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked............................These two pics show the offset prop shaft which creates a problem of seat space on the drivers side,with the drivers seat squab requiring channeling to fit over the tunnel, and the radiator, which required its in/out stabs. moved from one side to the other, as the rad, is now behind the motor as opposed to its original position, on the 'bike,ahead, but that's the nature of screwing "one-offs" together! Cheers for now, Morrag
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:40:08 PM by morrag » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »

Someone in the States was using rollers directly onto the rear tyre as a means of drive on Harley showbikes a while ago. Might be info on them out there on the 'net somewhere.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »

Why not a brake disc on the prop - say on the diff nose, with a ring gear shrunk on. Bolt on a starter motor and bobs your uncle. Been thinking about this for my trike, less clutter from cables etc. What has the smallest dia flywheel? Reliant can't be far away?
Huw
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: