May 15, 2024, 05:41:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bloody battery!  (Read 3128 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« on: March 24, 2006, 01:48:58 PM »

Last time out the trike broke down and after doing this and that I've been putting off test riding it for a couple of reasons - good one, it's been so cold and I can't risk having to hang arounf for an hour waiting for recovery cos my bad leg gets so painful if it gets cold. Poor one - I've kinda lost a bit of confidence and keep on finding reasons why it can't be todayu.

So today I decided, this is it! It's not cold so that's not a problem, it's drizzling a bit but that doesn't matter, I've got good waterproofs and I won't melt. So off I goes to the garage, taking the battery that's been in the house since I charged it, battery back on, tank fixed down, seat on and.......

Nothing! Well not quite nothing but it just turned over feeble and then gave up. So I undid everything and now the battery's back on charge again.
Wish I had an Optimate or similar but it's not an option cos I got no leccy in the garage except via an extension cable.

But I really didn't expect it to be that flat - it's only a couple of weeks since it was charged and it's been in the house since then, shouldn't it have held more charge than that? It's not even an old battery, though it hasn't been used a lot.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 05:18:55 PM »

Hi Bobbi. Have emailed your photo to Yodie for inclusion in the People Piccies bit by the way.
I had the same feeling with the Honda -kept coming up with reasons not to ride it till I realised I didn't actually like it very much. Just didn't give me the same buzz the Triumph did.
Kept it under a cover outside my flat for a while in the worst of the winter weather & several times it refused to start but that was just cos it was so damn cold, (plus the choke lever needed a little adjustment). Cold just seems to kill bike batteries stone dead. Keep meaning to buy one of those booster/jump start pack thingies but haven't gotten around to it yet. Can't you keep the battery on charge indoors till you need it? No shed or porch you can leave it in? Doro sells "Optimate" chargers at Aztec Bikes for about 20 quid I think.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 09:39:35 PM »

I did keep the battery indoors after I charged it - if it was any good I reckon it would have held more charge than that for a couple of weeks.  Anyway in the end I put the car charger on it cos that has a dial to show what's happening - and it deffo wasn't chrging so it's new battery time again!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 10:36:33 AM »

My brother Steve's just sent me this. A solar powered battery charger. Says someone he knows has one mounted on the roof of his council lock up. Could solve your problems Bobbi.

http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/pics/batterysaverplus.html

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 01:31:55 PM »

Hm, interesting!  It does say not for outdoor use but that's prolly just to cover themselves...
Wonder if it has any fancy sensors/controls like the optimate kinda thing to stop it actually overcharging?  mine's only a ickle battery....

more info would be good, maybe I'll email them.

Got a battery now - at last I found somewhere fairly local that actually has a battery in stock for my bike and doesn't scratch their head and say "Is that a Suzuki?" when I've already told em it's a Kwak.

Got to go to work now tho - and it's raining anyway, not raining hard but very WET rain!

Desperate

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 09:37:45 PM »

A battery should ideally be charged and then discharged regularly to keep it in tip-top condition.

www.chrisireland.co.uk  THE DESPERATE DAN WEBSITE
Speedmaster

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 09:42:33 PM »

Sounds like BGs does that all on its own
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 12:44:29 AM »

No it only does the discharge bit!

Speedmaster

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 09:37:14 AM »

Doncha just hate it when things only do half what they Roll Eyes're s'posed to
Speedmaster

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 09:41:46 AM »

Where'd that smiley thing come from, am I being sabotaged???
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 09:36:31 PM »

Ha ha! Don't look at me, I never touched it! Evenin' Speedy. ... Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: