May 02, 2024, 03:15:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: dobbers trike  (Read 164277 times)
zakboy

« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2011, 05:46:39 AM »

it realy starts to make a diffrence once you can see paint going on  Smiley

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
dobber

« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2011, 10:23:02 AM »

sorta got that from your builds zakboy. gives you a sense of finishing something. do it with my business, sometimes take a week and do nothing but tidy and finish ongoing things. allways put all tools away and tidy at night, makes for a fresh start instead of walking in next time and thinking what a bleeding mess,.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Cabman77

« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:32 AM »

May I make a suggestion? If you took supports from the tube you`ve put right at the back and took them forward and angled upwards to attach to the backrest, right at the bottom of the backrest, that would give you all the required strength you need, and you could also set them at the same angle as the backrest and it would keep the same lines looking from the rear.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
dobber

« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »

hi cabman. that was mine and a few others thought, would make it super strong.  trying to keep it low looking at the back and not cluttered with bars everywhere.  didn't want to put anything above the axle at all, tried to work out a stiffening way under the back frame but was far too low [near floor].
               if i hadn't made the blunder of not leaving room for the diff to slide across so it could drop out underneath, therefore now having to have a removable piece in the frame i could have still  had the whole thing lower but got too far with it now...
its a first build afterall and not many folk see the design, or care  as much in detail as the builder. I'm hoping some will say  ; i like how you did that ; when i will be thinking,  ;hope they don't notice that cock up.

zakboy

« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »

hi dobber just wandered what method you are going to use to lock that axle up to stop the tubes turning in the u bolts.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:54:15 PM by zakboy » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »

"I'm hoping some will say I like how you did that, when I will be thinking Hope they don't notice that cock up".

-sounds like all my projects.  Tongue
I'd suggest a tab from the tube above the axle down to the diff bolts, (spreading the load across 2 or 3 of them), might be the easiest way of locating it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Cabman77

« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »

don`t the reliant axles have a little knobby bit that normally locates in the springs?

dobber

« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2011, 10:57:52 PM »

hi dobber just wandered what method you are going to use to lock that axle up to stop the tubes turning in the u bolts.
did you once tell me zakboy that you put a tack on one or more of the u bolts to the axle.

zakboy

« Reply #218 on: November 04, 2011, 01:42:38 AM »

did you once tell me zakboy that you put a tack on one or more of the u bolts to the axle.
yes dobber its one of the last jobs to do once im sure every thing is in line and central and the props at the angle i need it at..... i just put a few welds round a couple of the ubolts

nabsim

« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2011, 09:47:02 AM »

I see quite a bit on here about securing the axle/diff so it can't turn, how likely is it?

Reason I ask is my first trike which had been a running trike at least 10 years before I got it had nothing except the U bolts and was never a problem. Is there something in the way these U bolts are used or is it rare for the axle to turn?

U Bolt mounting
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/nabsim/Trike/RhRear02.jpg
dobbers trike

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/nabsim/Trike/LhRear03.jpg
dobbers trike

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/nabsim/Trike/05082007197.jpg
dobbers trike

zakboy

« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »

Its a lot less likely with a hard tail nabsim than soft tail because of the up and down pivoting on a soft tail, i think on a hard tail its more likely to want to turn on hard braking,i know on my bolt on convertions no mater how tight or close fit the ubolts are i would not be able to stop it turning, I rode a gs850 hard tail for about 4 years with a single u bolt each side of the axle and never had a prob,....i guess its one of those thing with a new project once its finished and ready to test ride that's when you find out
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:18:07 AM by zakboy » Logged

nabsim

« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:35 AM »

Is it the diff, axle tubes or both that can twist Zac? Tubes wont be able to turn on new one but nothing stopping diff at present

zakboy

« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2011, 11:20:39 AM »

If the axle tubes turn with in the ubolts its just forces the whole axle diff etc to tilt up or down depending on what you are doing on the trike at the time accelerating,braking ,etc until the uj,s on the prop are at there maximum angle and stop it in its tracks from tilting any more....... when it happens you just wander whats going on   Cheesy

Cabman77

« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »

what stops the axle doing it on the original reliant set up?

spanners

« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »

spring plate,s   u, bolts,,  and centre bolt ......

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: