May 09, 2024, 06:41:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1558262 times)
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #300 on: November 12, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

um so there gone already ?

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #301 on: November 12, 2007, 08:13:35 PM »

Not so much gone, as never there in the first place VB.  Smiley Mine didn't come with any fitted. I share Shaun's view that 50s rods should be fenderless -stripped down to just the basics. If you happen to be looking for a pair of genuine steel Pop front wings, (why?), Shaun's still got his as far as I know.
I knew the filler was there when I bought the car Doc -the gutters were literally filled up with the stuff, so had half planned to de-gutter it anyway. I chatted to Shaun earlier today & he tells me his is just as rotten as mine. Fortunately, with only half a body, we only need to do half as much remedial work. Frustrating cos I want to plough on & get the body finished, but obviously it's worth cutting out every last inch of rot & repairing it now, rather than having to do it later, when it's finished.
I'm not forsaking my trike to play with the Pop, but as it's taking up much needed space in Lunatic's workshop, I've got to push on with it cos I don't want to outstay my welcome!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:36:48 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #302 on: November 12, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »

the pop wings  i just wanted to experiement with them see how with alterations they might look as mudguards on the trike Smiley thats all. i to belive hotrods should be mudguardless Smiley

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #303 on: November 12, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »

An expensive option -a pair of gennie steel wings will set you back the best part of 300 quid. I've seen Beetle ones used as trike guards with the headlights still in them. Certainly different.

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #304 on: November 12, 2007, 11:14:46 PM »

thats why i was asking if you pair were binning them Smiley

More metal than skin
panthershaun

« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2007, 10:47:07 AM »

mine sold I'm afraid, had no use for them or storage space Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #306 on: November 13, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »

ok np was worth an ask

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #307 on: November 13, 2007, 01:16:35 PM »

The new cab's a ...erm, snug fit. Grin

Hillbilly Deluxe

i dont have an attitude ....maybe it's just you ??

« Reply #308 on: November 13, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »

is that a genuine flinstones model ,mank ? Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #309 on: November 13, 2007, 08:55:10 PM »

Grin It's about the same age, yeah.
Not planning on fitting luxuries like a radio or heater. With Taz & I sat in it in the Winter in thick sheepskin flying jackets it's gonna be very cosy.
I was thinking about the colour scheme today while I was plodding the streets delivering the mail- definitely going for black now, rather than the green I'd originally planned. It just looks right. I want to do the interior in black too, with maybe red piping on the door panels to break it up a bit. I've got a brown Bakalite dashboard & brown steering wheel & they're going to clash with the black. I could weld in a plain steel dash panel & spray it black -or I could paint the Bakalite one. Seems sacriligeous to do it, but maybe worth doing for that very reason! Lunatic suggested doing it in candy or flake red so the Bakalite patterning shows through it. Will probably put the brown steering wheel aside & go for a repro black one instead. Saw some nice 4 spoke vintage tractor ones at the Dorset steam fair a few months back. I've half wondered about panelling the whole interior in polished aluminium, but it'd be like sitting in a microwave oven in the Summer! Or maybe we could turn the finished body upside down & do the whole interior in bright red metalflake!
A little more progress this evening. We chopped the top off the doors & bolted them back in place. Once they've been tweaked a little to line up properly, we'll tack weld them in place so we can continue cutting out & repairing the gutter rot. Closer inspection of the doors shows they've both been repaired, one with a large amount of fibreglass -so that'll need sorting too. We've added a small patch at the back edge of each gutter just to hold everything in place, & will work our way forward from there.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:26:28 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #310 on: November 13, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #311 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »

Another half hour's work on the Pop jigsaw tonight. I folded a couple of short lengths of 20 gauge sheet to take the place of the buggered guttering & Loony tacked them in place. We'll inch our way along the gutter line, cutting out & tacking in, not fully welding anything until it's all had a final tweak to line it up perfectly.
I don't want to use body filler & Lunatic's keen to try some lead filling so that looks the way to go.
The repair work's frustratingly slow -I wanna do the big stuff that makes it look like it's nearly finished! -but it's got to be done.   

panthershaun

« Reply #312 on: November 16, 2007, 10:19:48 AM »

coming along nicely mate, will look good when finished. Can't wait to get them side by side at a show someplace Grin Grin Grin Grin
just been looking at my 2 CV's rear seat, might make a good bench for the Pop Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #313 on: November 16, 2007, 10:35:20 PM »

I used an Allegro rear seat as a bench in my Moggy Minor pick up years ago. Black velour with fold down arm-rest. Would have to be leather for a Pop though I think. Think I'll probably stick with 2 seperate seats in mine -mainly cos I think the V8 gearbox tunnel's gonna be quite high. I sold Loony a pair of repro Austin Chummy seat frames a while ago for his Volksrod. They'd look pretty cool, powder-coated metallic silver to look like aluminium bomber seats. Maybe just buy new black covers for the original Pop ones.
If you're going for a bench, how about covering it with a Mexican blanket, as is the current trend with rods, but have it properly upholstered -Mexican blanket tuck n roll.

panthershaun

« Reply #314 on: November 16, 2007, 11:18:16 PM »

Funny you should say that Cheesy I have a genuine Mexican blanket at home that I purchased from a stall in Tijuana in Baja California years ago Grin Grin

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: